Since November’s Friday falls on the day after Thanksgiving, I’m breaking my own rule and posting a recipe this week.
Let’s be honest, next to green bean casserole, cranberry sauce is the least desirable dish on the holiday table. I suspect that’s because it’s so plain. Well, I found a recipe that might spruce up the trimmings, thanks to the good people over at Gimme Some Oven and their recipe for Cranberry Crisp.
CRANBERRY FILLING INGREDIENTS:
- 24 ounces (about 6 cups) fresh cranberries
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup freshly-squeezed orange juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- zest of one orange
CRISPY OATMEAL TOPPING INGREDIENTS:
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts (pecans, walnuts, almonds, pistachios…you pick!)
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup melted butter or coconut oil
- 1/4 cup flour (or almond meal)
- pinch of salt and ground cinnamon
For the full recipe and baking instructions, please go here: https://www.gimmesomeoven.com/cranberry-crisp/
Now, instead of a boring side dish, you can serve a sweet and healthy dessert. Add a scoop of vanilla ice cream to really make it pop!