November 1st is Dia de los Muertos and what better way to celebrate with a little Pan de Muerto, Bread of the Dead. A nice lady named Mely Martinez from the Mexico in my Kitchen has given us a simple recipe for Pan de Muerto, a key ingredient to any Day of the Dead altar.
Pan de Muerto
- 500 grams 4 cups All Purpose flour
- 2 Tablespoons active-dry yeast
- 100 grams sugar 1/2 cup
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 80 grams butter at room temperature + 30 grs. to brush the bread after baking.
- 80 grams unsalted margarine room temperature plus more for bowl and pans.
- 4 large eggs room temperature
- Orange crest from 2 oranges
- 60 ml. warm water about 110 degrees
- 1 teaspoon orange blossom water or orange essence
- 1 large egg lightly beaten to brush the bread
- Sugar to decorate the bread at the end.
You can find the full recipe and baking instructions at the Mexico in my Kitchen blog: